Update: Officer Down in San Diego

San Diego Officer Down

San Diego Officer Down

Update:  Officer Down in San Diego

San Diego investigators have released more information regarding the murder of an officer that occurred early Friday morning.

Investigators have identified the first suspect, who was captured shortly after the shooting, as Jesse Michael Gomez, 52-years-old.  Gomez was arrested for the murder of San Diego Police Officer Jonathan “JD” DeGuzman and the attempted murder of Officer Wade Irwin. Gomez was found in a nearby ravine with a gunshot wound in his upper torso.  A second suspect, Marcus Cassani, was taken into custody after an hours-long stand-off with S.W.A.T. officers; it is still unknown what, if any, involvement Cassani had.

It is not immediately clear whether the San Diego officers were ambushed as the officers in Dallas and Baton Rouge were earlier this month.

The two officers were shot while making a stop late on Thursday night.

“To have this happen to our police officers—we have seen this happen way too many times just these last few weeks across our great country,” said Chief Zimmerman. “It is tragic for everyone.”

Officer DeGuzman, 43, was a sixteen-year veteran of the force and was married with two children.

DeGuzman’s partner, Officer Irwin, a nine-year veteran, is expected to survive.  Both men sustained multiple wounds to their upper torsos.

The pair were assigned to their department’s gang suppression unit and made either a pedestrian or vehicle stop around 11 p.m., local time, after which a call for “emergency cover” was heard over police radios. “It happened extremely quickly, from the information that was put out,” the chief said.

Other officers responded to the scene to find Officers DeGuzman and Irwin suffering from gunshot wounds and rushed them to the hospital.

The officers were also wearing department-issued body cameras at the time of the attack and investigators are hoping it will clarify the events that took place.

Chief Zimmerman said that she had worked personally with Officer DeGuzman earlier in her career and termed his death “gut-wrenching.”

“He cared,” she said. “Last night, he lost his life trying to make a positive difference and protect our community.”

Our prayers are still with you, San Diego.  Stay strong. Office DeGuzman, your life mattered.