Michelle Carter Found Guilty Of Manslaughter In Boyfriend’s Texting Suicide

Michelle Carter was convicted for Conrad Roy's suicide.

Michelle Carter was convicted for Conrad Roy’s suicide.

Michelle Carter Found Guilty In Boyfriend’s Suicide

Taunton, MA – Whether it’s an unbelievable need for attention, or the ultimate case of bullying, 18-year-old Conrad Roy III killed himself on July 12, 2014, after being encouraged and told to do so by then 17-year-old Michelle Carter.

Carter, who is now 20, was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter by Juvenile Court Judge Lawrence Moniz on Friday, June 16.  As Carter broke down crying in court, Judge Moniz called her behavior “reckless”, according to The New York Post.

He also said that she was “mindful” of what was going on in Roy’s truck when he was committing suicide, and caused his death because she told him to get back in the truck, after he got out because he was afraid.

During Friday’s hearing, Judge Moniz said Michelle Carter was “mindful that the process in the truck will take approximately 15 minutes,” and that she encouraged Roy to get back in his truck “…knowing of all of the feelings he [had] exchanged with her, his ambiguities, his fears, his concerns.”

Carter also did nothing to help Roy, although she knew the location of his truck; she didn’t call police, EMS, his family, or anyone to help him.

Carter and Roy exchanged several texts in the days before his death.  In the texts, she constantly brought the topic up:  will it be today? why are you putting it off?  Just go ahead and do it.  On July 11, 2014, one day before he died, Roy sent Carter a website screenshot about carbon monoxide, and a separate text with an image of a portable generator, according to ABC News.

On the day that Roy killed himself, Carter texted a classmate, and said, “He just called me and there was a loud noise like a motor … I heard moaning … I stayed on the phone for like 20 minutes and that’s all I heard. … I think he just killed himself.”

On July 14, 2014, Carter texted a classmate that she blamed herself for Roy’s suicide, and that she had been talking to Roy when he killed himself.

On July 21, 2014, she texted a classmate that detectives were ‘going through’ Roy’s belongings.  She texted, “They have to go through his phone and see if anyone encouraged him to do it. I’m done. His family will hate me and I could go to jail.”

And in September, 2014, Carter, in another text to a classmate, said that she could have stopped Roy.

Michelle Carter was charged as a youthful offender, which means that she was charged as an adult although she was a minor at the time of the incident.  Carter will be sentenced on August 3, and she faces up to 20 years in prison.