Escaped Texas Convict Jake Childers Shot And Killed During Shootout With Texas DPS SWAT Team

Jake Childers was killed after escaping and shooting at officers.

Jake Childers was killed after escaping and shooting at officers.

Jake Childers Killed During Manhunt

Campbellton, Texas –  An escaped South Texas inmate was shot and killed by Officers from the Texas Department of Public Safety on Tuesday night.

According to Live Oak County Sheriff Larry Busby, Jake Childers was involved in an altercation  with jail guards at the Live Oak County jail last week and briefly took one guard hostage before he was subdued.  He complained of pain and was taken to a hospital in George West on Friday, December 23, and Saturday, December 24, 2016. As Childers was being brought back to the Live Oak County Jail on Christmas Eve, Sheriff Busby said that Childers escaped through an unlocked window in the back of the jail van.  When he escaped, Childers was wearing a belly chain and leg shackles.  Sheriff Busby said that the van had recently been returned from having mechanical work done, and that the window locks had been deactivated.

After his escape, Jake Childers broke into a home in George West, where he stole weapons and a truck. Someone called police on Monday, December 26, 2016, and said that a person matching Childers’ description had been seen in the Campbellton area, near FM 791, in Atascosa County.  Law enforcement officers narrowed the search to a 100-mile area around Campbellton, which is a small town about 50 miles south of San Antonio.  A perimeter was established in that area.

DPS SWAT Team members located Jake Childers, age 36, and confronted him about 9:15 PM Tuesday night. Gunfire was exchanged, and Childers was shot and killed.  The stolen truck was found nearby.

Jake Childers had originally been arrested in November, 2016, in Bastrop County by a Texas Parks and Wildlife Game Warden for illegally fishing on private property.  He assaulted the Game Warden and fled into woods.  His sister helped him elude officers for two days before he was located in a Walmart parking lot in Austin and taken into custody.  The Texas Parks and Wildlife Game Warden received minor injuries during the incident. Childers was then sent to Live Oak County for service of outstanding warrants.

The Texas Rangers are conducting the investigation.  No one else was injured during the incident.

Please share your comments on Facebook or below.