East Baton Rouge Deputy Nick Tullier Makes Significant Progress After Ambush

Deputy Nick Tullier and family

Deputy Nick Tullier and family (Facebook/James Tullier)

Injured Baton Rouge Deputy Nick Tullier Makes More Progress

Since July 17th, East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Deputy Nick Tullier has been in a coma following an ambush on him and five fellow officers during the Baton Rouge terrorist attack on law enforcement.  Last week, Deputy Tullier’s rehabilitation hospital reported excellent progress in his recovery.

On July 17th, six officers were ambushed by an anti-police terrorist at Hammond Aire Plaza, a shopping complex, just before 8:40 AM.  The suspect scouted the area before police were called about a suspicious person carrying a rifle.  Officers arrived on scene and within minutes were caught in a gun battle.  The suspect fired first, fatally wounding three officers.  He shot one officer then wounded his partner who fell to the ground.  A third officer came to the aid of the wounded officer and was shot multiple times during the attempt to help.  All three died as a result of the gunshot wounds.  The suspect then turned and shot another officer then he moved to shoot two Sheriff’s Deputies who were investigating his car.  Around 8:46 AM the SWAT Team responded and one officer took a shot from around 100 yards a way, killing the suspect.  The entire incident lasted under ten minutes.

Officer Montrell Jackson, 32 and Matthew Gerald, 41, both of the Baton Rouge Police Department, lost their life that day.  Deputy Brad Garafola, 45, of the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s office, also died from his injuries.

One officer wounded in the battle was East Baton Rouge Deputy Nick Tullier, who suffered gunshot wounds to the head, abdomen and shoulder during the attack. Deputy Nick Tullier received four months of intensive treatment at Our Lady of the Lake before his family flew him to Houston for special medical treatment.  Within four weeks at the new hospital, which is a very well regarded rehabilitation facility, specialists from the hospital’s Disorders of Consciousness program have made “significant discoveries” with the wounded deputy.  Deputy Nick Tullier arrived at TIRR Memorial Hermann hospital in Houston a month ago and this last Thursday, doctors held a press conference on his progress.

Doctors reported that Deputy Nick Tullier is aware of his surroundings, understands commands, questions and can answer “yes” and “no” by moving his head.  He recognizes loved ones and can read words.  His family reported significant brain stem damage after the ambush and after months of praying for him to wake up from the coma, he is now reported to be ‘fully conscious.’

“You can definitely tell that he can hear when we are talking to him,” said Deputy Nick Tullier’s fiance, Danielle NcNicoll.  “A lot of times he’ll open his right eye, move his head, he moved his toes.  He’s there.  It takes a lot out of him.  Medically he should not be here, and he is.”  McNicoll has stood by his side since the ambush and said his friends and family, “They see in his charts and his progress that God willing he can make a hundred-percent recovery.”

We are sending our thoughts and prayers to the Tullier family, both blood and Blue.  We are so thankful to hear the good report!  Get well soon.

If you would like to leave this hero a message or comment in his recovery please feel free to do so in the comments below, or on our Facebook page.